Admission of Students to the Program:
- Students are admitted to the program during the fall semester, most likely but not necessarily of their first year at USFSM.
- Upon admission to USFSM, students whose qualifications, preparation, and self-discipline appear outstanding to the advising team may be apprised of the existence of an honors program, and encouraged to apply to it.
- During the first half of fall term, potential honors students may also be identified by their professors and encouraged to apply. Faculty members are encouraged to identify their most talented students.
- Interested students are invited to apply for admission to the program during early fall term, with the deadline for application being the official midterm date.
- The application packet includes a current transcript, a letter of reference by one of the student’s professors, and a personal statement of interest by the applicant (2 typed pages).
- After reviewing the packet of information, and after conferring over the suitability of applicants, the honors committee invites selected students to register for the honors seminar, offered in the spring term of that year.
- The target enrollment is 12-22 students.
- If room allows and with the permission of one of the instructors, students can elect to take the seminar as a special-topic elective.
- While it is not vital that the students be equally distributed between the two disciplines of the seminar, the selection committee strives to select at least 6 majors in each discipline.
- In the following summer, each professor teaches a separate
discipline-specific section of the honors project course, which leads students
in individualized exploration of their defined focus of inquiry as they write an
honors thesis, beginning the following fall.
Honors Application and Recommendation Form
Honors Seminar (IDH 4000)
Honors Project (IDH 4950)
Honors Thesis (IDH 4970)
For Information or Questions regarding the Honors Program please email:
Dr. Melissa Sloan: email@example.com